Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Application, Visa, Permit of Stay?

It has taken almost a year, but I am FINALLY abroad!


Application- Bentley requires each student that in interested in studying abroad (regardless of semester) to submit an application by the beginning of February. I wanted to study in the Fall of 2011, so I had to have my application (which is filled with certain requirements, prerequisites and essays - plan ahead!) completed in February 2011. I capitalized on the early bird insensitive in which Bentley waived the $40 application fee. Acceptance notifications were not available until the middle of march, so the waiting process began!


Visa- Fortunately Bentley did most of the process for the students going to Italy. Our adviser had worked with the Italian Consulate in Boston for some years and offered to bring our visa applications, passport and affidavit of support to the consulate. The entire process takes around 3-6 weeks. Not completely positive on time..but I left my application and passport in June and received my passport, with visa and approved documentation sometime in July. 
 -just make sure you do not need your passport for any traveling during this process!


Flights - If you have flexibility, book on middle of the week flights and whenever you see a good price! Unfortunately our flights had to be book prior to our visa application and had to arrive in Rome of a specific date so we were limited to flight selection. But timing is everything. I was on the same flight as my friends, they paid $1,600 and I saves about $300 with a $1,300 ticket. 


Permit of Stay- Apparently to stay for a prolonged time in Italy you are required to fill out a Permit of Stay, it is a mandatory document necessary for students who plan to travel in Europe while in Italy.  Its an 8 page document that is required with personal documents (copy of passport, visa, acceptance letter, and health insurance). 

No comments:

Post a Comment